Tikkun Olam sponsors programs and projects that help the most vulnerable members of the community by promoting social justice and repairing the world. As the central address for tzedek initiatives in the synagogue, the committee coordinates between departments and communities to we maximize the effectiveness of our activities.
As we face the public health crisis caused by COVID-19, we are committed to being a force for good in our city and around the world. You are an essential part of these efforts. Here's how you can help:
- Clergy Discretionary & Passover Welfare Fund: Our annual Passover appeal will be directed toward relief for those in acute need. Please make a donation here.
- Blood Drives: There is a critical need for blood and platelets as our country faces a national shortage of these materials. If you are healthy and able, consider finding a blood drive near you.
- Give to Hospitals: If you have spare masks, latex or nitrile gloves, wipes, or other protective items, you can help hospitals that are running out of these necessities. Find out more here.
- Sustain Local Businesses: As businesses are forced to close or operate under restricted conditions, it is essential that we support them. If you have a favorite store, consider purchasing a gift certificate for future use. You can also order a meal from a local restaurant for pick up or delivery.
- Bikur Cholim Committee: Reach out to fellow PAS members and help coordinate the delivery of essential goods to those in need of assistance. Contact Rabbi Neil Zuckerman to volunteer.
- Support Your Local Animal Shelter: With shelters understaffed many need assistance feeding and walking pets. This is also a great time to consider fostering or adopting an animal companion. Find a shelter near you here.
- Virtual Service Opportunities: The UJA Federation has a range of volunteer opportunities to meet emerging needs, many of which can be done from the comfort of your home. Find out how you can help here.
We hope you will volunteer for one or more of our activities throughout the year, and set an example for all members of our community. For more information or to join the Tikkun Olam Committee, email us.