Tikkun Olam sponsors programs and projects that help the most vulnerable members of the community by promoting social justice and repairing the world. As the central address for tzedek initiatives in the synagogue, the committee coordinates between departments and communities to we maximize the effectiveness of our activities.
DOING THE WORK TOGETHER
TIKKUN OLAM GENERAL COUNCIL MEETING
Thu / Aug 6 / 7:00 pm
Location: Register for Zoom Link
“You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to desist from it” (Pirkei Avot 2:21).
At our first-ever Tikkun Olam General Council meeting, we invite you to join the conversation about tikkun olam at PAS. At this meeting, we will have the chance to discuss our goals, share our passions, and collaborate with each other as we look to the year ahead.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
As we face the public health crisis caused by COVID-19, we are committed to being a force for good in our city and around the world. You are an essential part of these efforts. Here is how you can help:
- Clergy Discretionary & Passover Welfare Fund: Our annual Passover appeal will be directed toward relief for those in acute need. Please consider making a donation.
- Blood Drives: There is a critical need for blood and platelets as our country faces a national shortage of these materials. If you are healthy and able, look for a blood drive near you.
- Give to Hospitals: If you have spare masks, latex or nitrile gloves, wipes, or other protective items, you can help hospitals that are running out of these necessities. Learn more about how you can help.
- Sustain Local Businesses: As businesses are forced to close or operate under restricted conditions, it is essential that we support them. If you have a favorite store, consider purchasing a gift certificate for future use. You can also order a meal from a local restaurant for pick up or delivery.
- Clean Out Your Closets: The Quarantine Spring Clean Challenge offers free pickup of clothing, books, housewares, and other items to donate to those in need. Currently limited to residents of Manhattan. Learn more and schedule an appointment.
- Bikur Cholim Committee: Reach out to fellow PAS members and help coordinate the delivery of essential goods to those in need. Contact Rabbi Zuckerman to volunteer.
- Support Your Local Animal Shelter: With shelters understaffed, many need assistance feeding and walking pets. This is also a great time to consider fostering or adopting an animal companion. Find a shelter near you.
- Virtual Service Opportunities: UJA-Federation has a range of volunteer opportunities to meet emerging needs, many of which can be done from the comfort of your home. Check out your options to see which ones suit you best.
We hope you will volunteer for one or more of our activities throughout the year, and set an example for all members of our community. For more information or to join the Tikkun Olam Committee, email us.