Join your PAS sisters, mothers, and daughters, with Rabbi Lori Koffman, Cantor Mira Davis, and trip chairs Carol Becker, Stacie Schapiro, and Vicki Warner, for a Women’s Trip to Portugal in April 2023. Registration is now full but we encourage you to sign up for the waitlist!
- A welcome cocktail reception with the Jewish community leaders in Lisbon
- Tasting pastel de nata, the classic Portuguese custard, in a behind-the-scenes visit to the bakery where only women can enter
- Meeting with the biggest stars in Portugal’s fashion world
- Visiting the town of Sintra, the resort town of Portugal’s kings
- Touring the 15th century Jewish synagogue of Tomar, the synagogues of Belmonte and Porto, as well as other significant Jewish sites such as the Jewish Museum in Belmonte and the Holocaust Museum of Porto.
- Hearing testimonies from those who resisted expulsion from the Jewish community of Belmonte
- Learning about how Jews managed to keep their faith for 500 years despite persecution
- Enjoying a port wine tasting in the town where it all began
- Discovering Porto’s contemporary art scene
- Being serenaded by the TUNA Academica, a university musical group
- Learning alongside Henrique Cymerman, our trip scholar
- Taking part in an intimate dinner party with friends and local nobility at the Palace of the Count of Calheiros.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the trip?
The trip will begin in Lisbon on April 16, 2023 and will conclude in Porto on Friday April 21.
For whom is the trip appropriate?
The trip is for PAS members who identify as a woman, non-binary or gender non-conforming.
Who is our travel partner?
We will partner with J² Adventures for this journey.
Will we be flying together?
We will not be flying as a group together. The program will begin at our hotel in Lisbon at 11:00 am on Sunday April 16, so please make your travel plans accordingly.
What do I need to know about passports?
Now is the time to make sure your passports are up to date. Remember to make sure your passport is valid for at least six months after the final day of the trip to ensure smooth and easy travel.
May we arrive early?
You are welcome to arrive early if you are available to meet the group in Lisbon on April 16. If you want help with hotel accommodation before the trip starts or after the trip is over, you will be provided with a J² customer care contact for this purpose. The J² Adventures contact person will be provided to you after you make your trip deposit. The J² customer care person will require your flight information so please contact them only after you have secured your flights.
When will the itineraries be available?
The itinerary is available online here. It is important to note that this is a draft and subject to change at any time. Updated drafts will be shared with participants at pre-trip gatherings before our departure.
Will I be able to meet other people who are going on the trip before we leave?
PAS gives as much attention to gatherings, education, and community-building before the trip as it does to the journey itself. A pillar of our PAS travel philosophy is that a trip is just one part of our larger communal learning experience. Our trips are preceded by pre-trip gatherings and followed up with gatherings and reunions to continue the conversation long after we have returned home, and to share our experiences and learning with the rest of our community.
How much will this trip cost?
The cost of the trip will be $7,655 per person once the trip yields 70 participants; a single supplement of $1,550 is required if you want your own room.
Registration is now full but we encourage you to sign up for the waitlist.
Is a deposit required upon registration?
We are initially compiling a list of interested parties to get a better sense of the numbers. We will get back to people within a few weeks to confirm their interest at which point a deposit of $1,000 will be required. If the trip is canceled due to restrictions having to do with COVID-19, a full refund will be available. Full payment is due 120 days before the trip begins.
What is the cancellation policy?
A full cancellation policy will be provided to you prior to you making your actual deposit.
Should I get travel insurance?
Yes, we strongly recommend purchasing travel insurance. It is important to note that some insurance programs provide more comprehensive coverage when the policy is purchased in proximity to your initial trip deposit.
Are need-based scholarships available?
Yes. Please register and then speak with Valerie Russo by calling 212-369-2600 x106 ore emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for a need-based scholarship.
Which members of the clergy are going?
Rabbi Lori Koffman and Cantor Mira Davis will be leading the trip.
Who are the lay leaders involved in planning the trip?
The trip chairs are Carol Becker, Stacie Schapiro, and Vicki Warner.
Who do I contact with questions about the trip?
Please feel free to contact Rabbi Koffman, the trip chairs, or J². Be sure to check out our Trip Itinerary as well for more information.
Learn more about our scholar in residence, Henrique Cymerman.